Sea Kayak Australia (SKA) was established in 1994 in response to a growing demand by schools for challenging water based outdoor pursuits. SKA has expanded over the years and now caters for adult lessons and expeditions as well as schools groups. In 2002 Sea Kayak Australia came under new management. Existing staff have been retained. The Director (David Wood) has been paddling kayaks since he was 8 years of age and has a passion for all things water related. David gained a Bachelor of Arts in Recreation from VUT in 1989 and Master of Social Policy in 2000. He has worked for local government organisations as a recreation and community planner, and as an outdoor educator for groups as diverse as “youth at risk”, people with psychiatric disabilities, older persons, adults and school groups.
Sea Kayak Australia has now successfully organised hundreds of sea kayaking expeditions around Australia.
Aims and philosophy
- Our main aim is to provide a journey through a natural environment that is adventurous and offers an opportunity for personal enrichment.
- To provide a safe and enjoyable recreational experience.
- We attempt to achieve this by providing inspiring, enthusiastic and sensitive staff.
- At SKA we provide quality equipment that is well maintained.
- All trips are accompanied by experienced and qualified staff.
- It is our belief that all sea kayaking should be conducted in an ecologically sustainable manner.
Why paddle with Sea Kayak Australia?
We love our work and hope we can share this enthusiasm with people who try sea kayaking. Sea kayaking is a great way to explore the remote and beautiful areas of Australia and great exercise. Participate at your own pace by attending a lesson, sample a day trip, come on a guided overnight trip or just hire a kayak and explore a favourite area. You will find us friendly, professional and wanting to satisfy your particular kayaking needs. Our service provides a balance of safety, enjoyment and adventure. We use modern equipment that is well maintained and give you the choice between double or single sea kayaks suitable for novice to advanced paddlers.