Melbourne City Full Day – School
View Melbourne City from a unique angle, that is, from the water. Relax and cruise along and see both old and new areas of the waterways. Hear about the history of the old port.
The purpose of this half day is as a recreational activity, fitness activity, environmental science/outdoor education class for schools or VET/VCAL activity. The session covers basic strokes and a short paddle. These tours are almost “weather proof” so no issue with cancellations because of strong wind forecasts. Environmental and historical issues can be discussed and examined.
The tour progresses towards Victoria Harbour for lunch or can go the opposite way towards Herring Island before returning.
DepartureRichmond Rowing Club, Boat House Drive, Melbourne City (opposite Federation Square).
Departure Time9.00 AM
Return Time3.00 PM
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, old runners or thongs, hat, sun glasses and bottle of water.
IncludedKayakLife jacketPaddlePersonal GuidePhotographsPumpSpray JacketThermal
Not IncludedCamping GearCooking gearDry bagFoodLunchMapNotesSnacksSpray deckTransportation/CarUtensilsWater
- This kayak tour starts in the city centre, on the Yarra River.
- Staff then greet students.
- Life jackets are then correctly fitted.
- If it's cold then spray jackets and thermals are also issued.
- Students are then grouped into pairs and the rudder system is adjusted for the back person steering.
- A safety talk and dry capsize drill is then conducted.
- The group then gets on the water.
What you will see, hear and do
- There are a lot of things to see like the former Customs House, turning basin, Historical ships, former waterfall, "Mission for Seamen" , old warehouses and Bolte Bridge.
- This is the centre of Melbourne so there is lots of vibrant activity.
- Music is often played along the water's edge.
- Historical commentary on the old docks area is provided along the way.
- Discussion on environmental issues may also take place.
- There is a rest stop, half way through the tour at Victoria Harbour, to stretch your legs and have lunch.
- Students then paddle back to the start and disembark at the rowing landing.
- High 5s all around.
- Life jackets and paddles are then returned.
- Kayaks are then loaded onto the trailer.
- Group debriefing.
- This tour is designed for students with little kayaking experience and who like to paddle in comfort without waves or sea spray.
- This tour is almost "weather proof."
- The tour is 6 hours duration with 4.5 hours of paddling time.