Phillip Island – School
Beginners and experienced paddlers will find this area a real adventure. Sea life abounds with seals, penguins and the occasional pod of dolphins. No cars and roads can be seen. Paddle past huge granite cliffs, sandy beaches and explore sea caves.The lunch spot is a real “corker” with views down to Kilcunda.
DepartureEnd of Cottersloe Ave, Woolamai Waters
Departure TimePlease arrive by 9:15 AM for a prompt departure at 9:30 AM.
Return Time3.00 pm
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, old runners or thongs, hat, sun glasses and bottle of water.
IncludedKayakLife jacketPaddlePersonal GuidePhotographsPumpSpray deckSpray JacketThermal
Not IncludedCamping GearCooking gearDry bagFoodLunchMapNotesSnacksTransportation/CarUtensilsWater
- This kayak tour starts at Woolamai Waters foreshore.
- Staff then greets clients.
- There is an exchange of medical and indemnity forms
- Life jackets are then correctly fitted.
- If it's cold then spray jackets and thermals are also issued.
- Clients are then grouped into pairs and the rudder system is adjusted for the back person steering.
- A safety talk is then conducted.
- The group will then practise some basic paddling skills in the water.
What you will see, hear and do
- The first section of the sea kayak tour is along a sandy bay where you get great views of San Remo and Kilcunda.
- Participants then sea kayak towards Cape Woolamai, past huge granite cliffs (reminiscent of Wilson’s Promontory’s landscape)
- One of the highlights of the tour is to paddle into a large sea cave.
- Paddle around small rock islands and observe seals, sea eagles, pelicans, pacific gulls and cormorants.
- Discuss early history and environmental issues of Westernport Bay.
- This tour is remote so you will not see cars or infrastructure.
- Lunch is on the beach at the former quarry.
- The break is 30 - 45 minutes long.
- There is time to have a look around and go for a swim.
- The group then paddles back to the start and disembarks at the Woolamai Waters foreshore.
- High 5s all around.
- Life jackets, spray decks and jackets and paddles are then returned.
- Quick debriefing.
- This tour is designed for students who like adventure, who have little kayaking experience and are of medium fitness.
- The tour is 6 hours duration with 4.5 hours of paddling time.