St Kilda – School
Have fun kayaking along the beach in the hub of Melbourne in summer – St Kilda. See Little Penguins on the break water, catch a glimpse of Williamstown. Beautiful views of Melbourne cityscape.
St Kilda launching area is in a protected bay surrounded by a break water. There are great views of the city and towns of Williamstown and Port Melbourne. Students may also observe the great movement of ships under the Westgate bridge. Plenty to see and discuss for students. A great introduction to sea kayaking and close to the city. Accessible by tram or school bus.
DeparturePier Rd, St Kilda (300m west of St Kilda Pier)
Departure Time9 AM or 12.30 PM
Return TimeAM session 12 noon. PM Session 3.30 PM
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, old runners or thongs, hat, sun glasses and bottle of water.
IncludedKayakLife jacketPaddlePersonal GuidePhotographsPumpSpray deckSpray JacketThermal
Not IncludedCamping GearCooking gearDry bagFoodLunchMapNotesSnacksTransportation/CarUtensilsWater
- This kayak tour starts on the St Kilda foreshore.
- Staff then greet students.
- Life jackets and spray decks are then correctly fitted.
- If it's cold then spray jackets and thermals are also issued.
- Students are then grouped into pairs and the rudder system is adjusted for the back person steering.
- A safety talk is then conducted.
- The group then get on the water.
What you will see, hear and do
- There are a lot of things to see like the Little Penguins at the St Kilda break water.
- Paddle under piers and around stationary sailing boats.
- Feel small waves and light winds brush past you.
- Take in views of the towns of Port Melbourne, Melbourne City and Williamstown.
- West Gate Bridge and Spirit of Tasmania may also be seen.
- Discussion on the changing landscape and environmental issues.
- There is a rest stop, half way through the tour, to stretch your legs and have a snack and drink.
- The group then paddle back to the start and disembark at the beach.
- High 5s all around.
- Life jackets, paddles and spray jackets are then returned.
- Kayaks are then loaded onto the trailer.
- Group debriefing.
- This tour is designed for students with little kayaking experience and who like an introduction to the activity.
- The launch area is in a protected harbour.
- This tour is close to Melbourne central and thus is accessible to public transport and easy bus parking.
- Launch area is off the beach.
- The tour is 3 hours duration with 2 hours of paddling time.
- This tour may also be run as a full day (5-6 hours) where more can be seen and experienced.