Yarra River Kayak Hire
Kayak along the Yarra River at your own pace, for as long as you like and listen to the bellbirds and magpies; how good would that be? Stop for lunch along the way and return back to the start or be picked up in the city. This experience is great for locals, interstate or overseas travellers.
Opening Hours: are 9 am – 5 pm (6 April – 6 October) and 9 am – 6 pm (7 October – 5 April), seven days a week.
Hire Time: 1/2 day (1-3 hrs) or full day (3-8 hrs)
- Single Kayak $45 half day (1-3 hrs) and $60 full day (3-8 hrs).
- Double Kayak $60 half day and $80 full day.
- Pick up $60 per group (2-10 people). $100 (11-18 people)
To Complete a Hire Booking fill out the form below:
Bookings are finalised once deposit has been made. A flat rate deposit of $40 will be taken at the time of booking for groups of between 1-7 persons and for groups of 8 or more a deposit of $150. This can be paid via credit card over the phone or by direct bank transfer into the following account:
Sea Kayak Australia
Acc. No: 186589
Please insert your SURNAME in the “Description” section of the bank transfer statement.
Departure12 Turner St Abbotsford
Departure TimeB/W 9 AM and 3 PM
Return Time10 AM - 5 PM (April - September) and 10 AM - 6 PM (October - March)
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, old runners or thongs, hat, sun glasses and bottle of water.
IncludedDry bagKayakLife jacketMapPaddlePump
Not IncludedCamping GearCooking gearFoodLunchNotesPersonal GuidePhotographsSnacksSpray deckSpray JacketThermalTransportation/CarUtensilsWater
FAQ & Hire conditions
- A booking is confirmed once a deposit has been paid. The remaining balance shall be paid in full, prior to commencement of kayak hire.
- Hire time starts once the group gets on the water.
- Groups need to return at least 30 minutes before it gets dark.
- Groups that hire for half a day must return in the allotted time of 3 hours. Groups over 30 minutes late will be charged for a full day.
- Please advise us before hand if you are over 190 cm tall or over 110kg in weight. We can then place you in the right kayak.
- A child of between 4 and 13 years must be in a double kayak with an adult, in their own seat and not on the adults lap.
- "Walk up" or on the spot bookings are fine however we can't guarantee we will have enough kayaks if you come at peak summer time. It is best to book 1 or more days before hand.
- A booking can be cancelled and rescheduled only once and has to be made at least 24 hours before scheduled booking date and time.
- The deposit will be forfeited with less than 24hrs notice provided of cancellation of booking.
- Any participant who cancels their booking and does not reschedule to another hire date will not have their deposit payment refunded unless under extenuating circumstances.
- Be on time as your kayaks will booked out to other people if you are more than 30 minutes late.
- Life jackets must be worn at all times.
- SKA reserves the right to refuse hire to clients who do not have the skills and experience to match the craft.
- The hirer must stay on the right hand side of the river in relation to the direction of travel.
- All hired craft craft is restricted to the Yarra River. No kayaking is permitted further up stream than launching location (Abbotsford) and no further down stream than Bolte Bridge (Docklands).
- Craft must not be left unattended by a distance of more than 500m, when stopping for a break. All paddling gear must be taken with you.
- The onus is on the hirer to consult with SKA about current and tide direction.
- Ensure hatches are properly fitted at all times.
- Never have more than one person in a cockpit at one time.
- Gear that is returned broken, missing or damaged will incur the cost of replacement or repair.
- If SKA believes the weather (e.g. river height) is unsuitable for clients perceived experience level then hire may be refused.
- Kayaks will be carried and not dragged whilst moving from one point to another.
- Do not use paddle to push off from shore.
Picks up down stream
- One way "pick up" point for kayaks being hired for a 1/2 day is only at Wesley Rowing Club, South Yarra.
- Full day hire "pick up" points are at the rowing sheds - Princes Bridge, City or Wesley Rowing Club, South Yarra.
- Minimum group size for pick up is 2 people.
- The pick up kayak collection fee is $60 for 2-10 people and $90 for 11-18 people and remains the same price even if hirers do not request a lift back to the start. A maximum of 6 hirers can be taken back to the start.
- Because we are not based in the city centre, hirers who hire for 3 hours (1/2 day) and decide to paddle all the way to Princes Bridge, will be charged for a full day hire rate. Pick up fee remains the same.
- Groups that change their plans in regard to the pick up point while on the water may have to wait an extra 30 - 60 minutes for pick up. e.g Wesley Rowing club, South Yarra changed to Princes Bridge, City. The group will also have to pay an upgrade from half day to full day hire rate.
- Groups that change their plans from return to pick up one way (while on the water) can only do so after discussing with SKA staff and can be refused if there are limited resources.
- During the week days, picks ups must be no later than 4pm because of traffic congestion.